3/14/09

Sanctification Through Podcasts

I don't know a lot about God's means of sanctification. I do know that he uses whomever and whatever he chooses to accomplish his purposes in all of creation, and this includes my personal sanctification. A couple of guaranteed means of sanctification are wives and children. My wife and children challenge, encourage, and inspire me on a daily basis. They are also the best method of accountability, because they see the places in your life that are less than perfect (or less than average). Anyway, moving on to the point of this post.

I can't be sure of exactly of how or when my sanctification will be furthered. What I do know is that prayer and reading Scripture are two activities that the Bible indicates as being part of the Christian life. These also seem to be to definite methods of doing your part to attempt to become more Christlike. However, if you are like me, then these two activities are easier described than accomplished. I truly have a desire to pray and study the Bible daily, but sometimes life gets in the way. Most of the time, my life is far more hectic than I would prefer, and this makes is easy for my flesh to make excuses for my lake of diligence.

One method I have found for giving myself time in prayer and the Scriptures is to take advantage of my commute each morning and evening. It takes me about 35-40 minutes each way, so this is a great time to spend praying. However, I find it distracting to read the Bible while driving (I hope you do to). Nonetheless, I did find a way to feed myself a steady diet of Scripture while driving. I started downloading sermons and podcasts. This is a great way to fill your mind with Scripture and exegesis of that Scripture. This is also a great way to redeem your commute, which most of us do not enjoy.

Here is a list of the podcasts (some are sermoncasts) that I subscribe to

  1. John Piper's Weekly Sermon (Bethlehem Baptist)
  2. Mark Driscoll's Weekly Sermon (Mars Hill)
  3. Matt Chandler's Weekly Sermon (Village Church)
  4. The White Horse Inn (Michael Horton and friends)
  5. Christ the Center (some PCA guys from Westminster)
  6. Ask Pastor John (bitesize Piper)
  7. Renewing Your Mind - R C Sproul
  8. Let My People Think - Ravi Zacharias
  9. The Albert Mohler Program
The first four are my favorites, but the rest are definitely worth your time. If you have any other podcasts to recommend, then please leave a comment. I am always on the lookout for something new.

1 comments:

steve March 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

Totally agree that using drive time is great for listening and prayer.

My top 5 are:

1)Bethlehem Baptist Sunday Sermon
2)The Albert Mohler Program
3)Renewing Your Mind - RC Sproul
4)Ask Pastor John
5)Truth For Life - Alistair Begg

Books I Want

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.