5/6/09

Mark Lauterbach's Article on Christans and Culture


The May issue of NEXT Magazine is viewable. There are articles by D. A. Carson, Bob Kauflin, and Justin Taylor in this issue, but the article that I am recommending today is by a lesser known pastor; Mark Lauterbach has written a great article on interacting with culture.  Here is an excerpt:

But I want to suggest that this question–“How should a Christian relate to culture?”–may be the wrong question. This may be the wrong place for us, as Christians in the middle of culture, to start. Here’s why: I am not sure how I am to relate to the culture, but I am sure I am to relate to people outside of Christ for the sake of their salvation. Before we ask how we as Christians should relate to our culture we must ask how and why Christ came into culture. Christ and his mission should define the questions we ask about culture ... 

Knowing people is different than going to movies. I think the whole discussion of being culturally aware dodges the real work of knowing lost people deeply.  I am called to love and serve them for Christ.  I am called to help them when they have marital problems, children problems, and are living with effects of their sin. I am called to relate to them in what we have in common. And we have a lot in common. They are made in Godʼs image. They know love and hate, sadness and joy, and the beauty of music and creation. I do not need to focus on the unique culture of our times, so much as on the real people around me. 

0 comments:

Books I Want

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.